Saturday, September 27, 2008

feet

Yesterday, I kept noticing people's shoes. Its hard not to do when sitting down among people who are standing up (when waiting for music to start that is). I actually had the fleeting and absurd notion to photograph feet I saw. But I really don't want a collection of photographed feet. And the more I looked, the more I really did not want a collection of dusty, dirty, photographed feet. Anyway, I was just struck by what the choice of footware might say about the owner. And how my interest and awareness of these sandals and shoes was directly influenced by the book I just read that morning: "New Fashion Japan" by Leonard Koren. The book speaks about and illustrates the evolution of fashion in Japan: the influence of American fashion on Japanese fashion after WWII, the lives and work of exemplary, influential Japanese fashion designers, and Japanese magazines and advertisement devoted to fashion. 

I also realized how closely this book relates to what I was thinking yesterday at the used clothing sale. "Our clothes never wore out - they just went out of fashion" (quote from page 13) Before American influence, used clothing was not sought after in Japan, sales did not exist. I did not write down the exact quote, but one fashion designer said "I don't know many people who are dressing a lie. Looking at what someone wears is a good indication of what they are like."

I saw chacos the most I think. Also a lot of converse, keens, toms, unidentifiable, unsupportive looking flats and flip flops. If ever anyone wanted to conduct a study on fashionable shoes at concerts...ACL might just be a good place to start.

No comments: