Wednesday, October 29, 2008

45 flavors of popcorn

About a month and a half ago, I wandered into Cornucopia, a tiny store on Guadelupe behind Veggie Heaven that sells 45 flavors of popcorn. (The place is located near Dobie Theater - convenient for sneaking popcorn into the movies) I discovered that the store recently opened in August - although it was also a popcorn place under different owners and name beforehand. Although I noticed a popcorn shop last year, I never wanted to go in until the venue changed names and signs. Funny. Looking in through the windows, I saw a brighter, fresher atmosphere with lime green walls and inviting tables with a few people talking.

The first time I entered, the girl behind the counter asked if I had ever been in before. I said no. Then she started handing me different flavor samples to try like Sopapilla (which I was curious about - since I just tried this form of puff pastry in Santa Fe) green apple, sweet corn, pesto. It was nice to be greeted with such welcome and the popcorn is delicious so I bought a bag of pesto and signed up on their email list. The girl behind the counter, actually one of the owners, punched a hole in a card and handed card and popcorn to me. Six punches = a free medium sz. bag of popcorn, she informed.

Because I signed up for the newsletter, I received an email today advertizing a breast cancer awareness fundraiser. All proceeds from popcorn balls sold during the event go toward a breast cancer charity, plus the event offered complimentary popcorn, cocktails and a movie screening. I stopped in today to support that cause and sample of course. This time I talked with the friendly owners and their friends. All wonderful people. One owner is the girl I met the first day and the other is another women in her 20's. I'm happy I noticed the store and went in.

No comments: