Thursday, March 19, 2009

Objectified


Saw the Movie "Objectified" by Gary Hustwit (director of "Helvetica") at its SWSW premier on Tuesday with Jacqueline. I give her total credit for telling me it was playing. We arrived early, unsure if they would let us in since we didn't have badges. If there was enough space left after they let in all the pass holders they would open it up to non-pass holders at $10/each. By the time the show was ready to begin, there were four very long lines! But they ended up letting in 100 non-badge holders and we slipped in to good seats at the front. The movie is outstanding. I found it especially fascinating as it relates to my interest in objects and the stories they tell and people and places they connect to. I wish I'd brought a notebook with me because now I can't remember all the great quotes. But I remember one thing I particularly like that a guy from Apple said when interviewed: "When something is designed well, it feels as if its meant to be that way. Why would it be any other way? as opposed to What if it was this way instead? It was nice that the film brought the conversation full circle from the objects and the diverse designers interviewed, back to issues of sustainability - where all these objects go (very quickly) after consumption, and, also, how everyone is a creative.

No comments: