Friday, April 15, 2011

Xela, 4/14/11, "Tranquile Chica"

Xela (Shaylah), the popular name for Quetzaltenango, sounds like the place somehow. La, la, la. Shy. Shangri-la. Shacks. Ambling. Shabby sometimes. Sometimes chic. Chica/chico. Shhhh. Shapes. Land. I have landed here happily. My maestro joked, "Tranquila chica" when I was overly excited about finding a spot on the map. I keep repeating that phrase to myself, "Tranquila chica." It has a nice ring to it, like Xela.

This place feels inclusive and I feel safe. In yoga class yesterday, I could have been in Santa Fe. An instructor from Michigan taught in English. I spoke with him afterwards. He asked where I was from in Europe, thinking I had a brittish accent. I told him I was actually from Maine, but I've gotten that before, possibly because of the canadian influence? He said he has never met anyone from Maine in Xela. I asked him how he ended up here and how long he's been here. He said he and his partner started this yoga studio 10 years ago, but he can't explain how he ended up here.

Its interesting when I tell people where I'm from now. I usually feel obliged to say Maine and New Mexico. I can't deny I'm originally from Maine - and I wouldn't want to since I love my homestate - but I also feel its not entirely true to say I'm from there anymore since I haven't lived there for more than 3 weeks in a year in more than 4 years. New Mexico is the place I departed from and the place I will return to. As we grow older, it becomes harder and harder to define where we are from. And it becomes more and more apparent that life is about where we are.

Right now, I'm a tranquile chica sitting in my bed at my guatemama's house. (though I'm really typing this up the next day at school since I have no internet at home). Aura, Walter, Daniel, Alexis, and Sandra are chatting in the kitchen. Fatima, thankfully, wore herself out with temper tantrums earlier. The two dogs, Scrappy-Doo and Micky Mouse, have also retired for the evening. I am full from tostadas topped with grated carrots, cabbage, and sauteed onions. Simple, yet satisfying.

I tried a salsa class last night, but I need to stay put tonight. Study, write, sleep, dream, awake, repeat.




No comments: