Monday, June 6, 2011

6/3/11 Contemplative sits and Gratitude

 

I usually sit kneeling on a pillow because otherwise my legs and feet will fall asleep. This week,
I’ve had a little bit of a cold to contend with, which seems to bother me more at sits. I am always
more present in the mornings. I feel more connected then and it’s a great way to start the day.
Friday morning was especially lovely. The animals had been singing since before dawn and I got
to go for a nice walk beforehand. This always quiets my mind. I liked how Alisha read a passage
and we all said a word from the passage we resonated with. And then we said what the
passage’s message or calling to us was. For me, the message was not to resist when times are
hard or sorrowful. I have been quite accepting of myself when my mind does wander because
that is simply what is happening and maybe I just need to let the thoughts happen in order to
clear them out. Again, the more resistant I am, the longer they last. The more I am able to focus
on feeling something in my heart, the faster my mind becomes quiet. The afternoon sits are
always more challenging for me since my mind is stimulated by what has happened during the
day and I am more tired. I know I will be eating and getting out for a walk and taking a nap
afterwards (whereas I have already done these things before the morning sit), so there is also
anticipation involved.

‐ I love and appreciate the other interns so much. The welcome and prayer when I arrived late
(I’m sure it helped me be rescued from the airport floor by that kind women in Chicago). Their
wisdom and maturity.
‐ I am grateful to be living in a beautiful, peaceful environment. The Rio Grande being so close a
walk away.
‐ I am grateful for all the work and care that has gone into making this internship program for us,
our schedule, orientation, work and room mate assignments.
‐ I am grateful for the kindness and vulnerability of the other interns, which makes it easier for
me to be so in return.
‐ I am grateful for the start‐off food in the cupboards and Peter & Joel’s delicious meal on
Tuesday.
‐ I am grateful to Cat, Cathy and Theresa for inviting me to observe my first AA meeting with
them and for the incredibly touching experience it was. I had no idea it would be so spiritual
with a meditation and sharing which also helped prepare me for our group sharing experience.

No comments: