Saturday, July 2, 2011

7/1 Dinner and Conversation and Sharing



Going to Andee’s house for dinner and meeting her incredibly sweet parents. I had a highly entertaining conversation with her dad and Michael and others were around for most of it too. Don, Andee’s father, had a lot to share of his life and I really enjoyed listening and learning from the talk and not getting attached or disgruntled at strong opinions I didn’t necessarily agree with (like that all people coming out of education programs today aren’t being taught to think). He had a joy and engagement with life despite his time in the military and working so much so hard (and being able to talk about his time in the service, which I have not heard many able to do) and he was genuinely interested in Michael and I and what we young people are up to. So much so that he actually asked to see my design work after I told him what I’d studied. So I sent over half a dozen projects and books with Andee the next day. I got an excited email from Andee the following morning and found out to my great delight and surprise that Don, all by himself, had had the idea that I needed a portfolio to store my work and he had gone out shopping for one for me himself. I was so touched to hear the story behind that and to receive all my work back neatly packaged in a new case with a note from Don inside. Their joy and interest in my work makes me want to make more of it and affirms that it is made from joy and interest (and frustration and hardwork) and that what something is made from emotionally is also given to the viewer.

No comments: