Saturday, November 22, 2008

Saturday East Austin Studio Tour

I biked over from MLK and West st. with Jacqueline. We made a loop from 7th and San Marcos down to 2nd and Waller, then across to 7th and Tillery, then back. Hopefully more tomorrow, at least to see Beth :) 

I especially liked the work when it was in the artist's home. Inspiring and energizing. I really don't know this part of Austin very well. Neat, mixed media on wood canvas with grain showing through and incorporated in as part of image, which I like. 

There was a blue tin structure place with a goat that sticks in my mind. A chair made of cement stood near the entrance. We asked the artist how he made it: it was cast over an old school chair, he said.

I saw my friend Theresa Noyes' work at Fisterra studio (though most of her work was at her house instead). Fisterra was a cool house. Made me think of ideas for arranging rooms if I ever have a house. Fisterra was also serving delicious soup for warming up and refueling.

I finally got a chance to visit Iona handcrafted books. Beautiful. The photo albums are nice nice nice. I asked one of the book binders where they get the corner pieces for the albums (thinking this might be a good way to display my daily practice pages because I don't want to punch holes in the pages). He said they order them directly from the corner store company. Really. Someone's job it is to create corners. Oh, Iona had the best cookies (loaded with white chocolate, chocolate, and mint chocolate chips). Anyway, there were so many gallery clusters over there by Iona including a hand-made card studio that smelled like the letter press room.

No comments: