Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Friday 5/13 - trip to Tikal Mayan Ruins

Tikal: Well, I'm glad I was able to see the Mayan site of Yaxha at sunset because the plan to see Tikal at sunrise didn't exactly pan out as planned. But, seeing Tikal at anytime of day is an incredibly impressive experience.

I got up at 4:15 am to catch the boat across the lake from San Miguel (where I live with a host family) to flores and then the shuttle to Tikal at 5am. At 5:20, the shuttle still hadn't arrived and a taxi driver had stopped to ask me if I needed a ride somewhere. I told him what had happened and as we were talking, we saw the shuttle I was supposed to be on crossing over the bridge and leaving Flores! So, I hopped in the taxi and we followed the shuttle until it stopped at a redlight and we could flag it down. Then I got on and things seemed to be fine. There were a group of nice people from around the world on the bus. Then, about 15 minutes later, the bus got a flat tire! So we pulled over and waited for a new bus, which came in half an hour. We all reboarded, hoping to catch the tail-end of the sunrise still. Literally, 5 seconds later, this second bus got a flat tire! So we waited another 15 minutes for a third bus and eventually we made it to Tikal at 8am instead of 6:30am. It turned out to be a hilarious situation and we were all in it together and making new friends in the process. I still had 5 hours to explore and walk around Tikal and that was more than enough time to see everything.

I was able to see spider monkeys up close and some funny orange, racoon-like creatures with snouts, who had no fear of humans whatsoever. The views were spectacular from the tops of the temples. I also took an hour long walk down a jungle trail where I encountered absolutely nobody else except monkeys! That was one of my favorite parts of the day.






No comments: