Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Saturday 5/14, my last day in Flores



 

My last day in Flores. It’s a little sad. This is my favorite place that I have lived out of 4 places in Guatemala. Actually, I live in San Miguel, which is right across the water from Flores. Today, I really enjoyed San Miguel. I walked to El Mirador, a lookout point/tower on a high hill. Beautiful view. On my way there, I met a local San Miguelan chopping palm fronds (for houses, his job). I told him I was on my way to the playita, small beach, and he said he was going that way to let his horse have a drink of water so I could follow him and practice my Spanish if I wanted to. It was the best Spanish conversation I’ve had so far. I could understand most of what he was saying, which was exciting! And we talked about horses and what it was like for him living and growing up in San Miguel, about the wildlife here, about how San Miguel is still such a safe place, but is changing fast. How the town on the other side of Flores is very dangerous already. And we talked about the crazy storm the night before with all the lightening and thunder (two of the above pics are from the lightening storm, one during a strike). He said that was nothing compared to what would follow during june and july. Then I said bye to him and spent an hour at the playita, where no one else had come yet so early in the day. Hopefully I will be able to return here sometime!

No comments: