Saturday, November 22, 2014

Arrived in Cali

I already like Cali a lot! Its funny how you can just tell about a place, sometimes even when you are still descending in an aircraft. It was dusk as we landed, so I could just make out the valley of green with low lying mountains surrounding it and lots of twinkling lights in the hills.

I was proud of myself for taking a mini-bus from airport to bus terminal ($5) like the locals and then a taxi from bus terminal to the neighborhood of San Antonio where I'm staying ($5), saving myself $ (the cost of a taxi straight from the airport would have been $25).

I'm staying in an artsy hostel I found on airbnb with my own room for $20/night with its own bathroom within the room, beautiful tile work and stained glass windows. The fan works great and blocks out any noise from the street. I can use the kitchen, laundry and living room. The top of the building has a terrace overlooking the city and the hostel is up on a hilly street, reminding me of San Francisco. I feel safe here immediately, and, even though it was 8pm, I wandered out of the hostel and found a little grocery store and a bakery nearby. There is a laid back vibe with people enjoying themselves here, (as opposed to trying to escape life with alcohol and loud noise as I felt was the case in Cartagena) which I love, people sitting in coffeshop patios, doors open, strings of colorful lights up, and young people walking around.

The weather is also great!!

No comments: