Monday, October 20, 2008

Thoughts on discovery

I'm realizing, I am following a bigger condition than exists only in the out of place or only in the study of shadows or only in what is always here, but not always noticed. The condition is discovery. Focusing too specifically on one thing can limit discovery by resulting in too much planning and thinking. Changing the focus continually, or changing it when it looses its newness, illicits a fresher, rawer response in many cases. Its about having a curiosity to find out what a thought will look like, feel like, manifest and not just as an idea. I am interested in that new experience where discovery lies and expectations don't exist yet. So, responding to the same thing as long as the results are fresh and than moving on, when they aren't. Sometimes discovery also lies in returning to the old after having a series of new discoveries elsewhere. In life, this just happened to me when I returned to D.C. In design, this can happen when I take a break from a subject for a while and do other studies, then return to the old study -  How do I keep responding like new to the same thing? Is that even possible?


No comments: