Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Findings

Found a new trail behind my house. Followed a worn path through a near dry acacia to a bike trail, which led me to Bacca St. a windy street of funky homes and artist shops. And then Bacca connected me to Hickox where one of my favorite restaurant's is located. Its called Tune Up now, but it used to be owned by different owners and at that time it was called "Dave's not Here." The new Tune Up restaurant features a tribute burger called "Dave's Was Here." I love not only the food at this restaurant, but the atmosphere and the cool colored shade mechanisms which create a canopy in front of the adobe building. Chris Taylor first told me to try the green chile at "Dave's not here" before I even came here. 

Found a new friend today too. Actually she responded to my housing wanted ad on craigslist way back in April right after I had already found a place to live, but we decided to meet up anyway for tea once I arrived. So that's what we did today, at a coffee place I hadn't tried before, called Java Joe's. Erin, my new friend came from Alaska for a two-year job placement a year ago. She's the first person from Alaska I've met here. We both agreed that this place kind of finds you.

Nicole's boyfriend left a random movie called "Cane Toads of Australia" from the early 90s maybe? on the coffee table. So Nicole and I just finished watching that finding. Guess the strange film comes from a great video library with an excellent documentary section that also happens to feed treats to customer's dogs. So I learned about the invasive species of Cane Toad brought to Australia in the 30's to combat the pesky sugar cane grubs that were driving the sugar cane croppers crazy. As it turned out, the toads ate everything except the grubs! And they have since spread like a plague because they have no natural enemies. 

No comments: