Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Introduction to Edible Communities Inc. Santa Fe, NM

.7 of a mile walk away from my house lies my new work space. I met three of my co-workers briefly this morning for a quick tour, even though I don't start work until next thursday. The tech guy is not coming until next wednesday to fix up my computer station. In the mean time, I was given a stack of Edible publications from across the country, some business cards, and a feeling of ease that this is where I'm meant to be working for the summer. The three women I met are wonderful people. Even though there is bound to be some tedious photo cataloging and not so creative stuff, there is room for lots of discovery and getting to know extremely interesting people. The more I peruse the magazines, the more I'm excited to be part of this organization.  

In the Portland issue for example, there is an article by Wendell Berry excerpted from his book "What are people for" That essay, written nearly 20 years ago, discusses the growing trend of people as consumer rather than  participant with food and how we can become active participants again. That essay could have been written this week - things haven't changed much. I'm happy that one of my housemates gardens and we have a garden in the back yard, and a compost, and recycling containers and one of my farmer friends here has already offered me as many tomato plants as I would like. It will be good to get back into cooking and planting things as a leisurely and enjoyable past time rather than a rushed grab something quick during twenty min. lunch break type thing. Today I mixed quinoa in with butter nut squash soup and that was yummy. 

Sometimes I don't even think I have anything to write about, its just a matter of getting something out of my head and into sentences, and then realizing that, hmmm, I guess there are some observations I can talk about. 

The weather was strange today too: warm and sunny on my walk to the introduction, and now mitten and hat time. My housemates are off for a walk, but I'm staying inside. Doctor appt. friday hopefully shed some light.

No comments: