Sunday, May 24, 2009

nettles and ribbon candy



Last night was in the 40s and I wondered what would happen with my new allergy to cold. My legs felt tingly once when I woke up because they were cold, but no hives. Walking to Trader Joe's this morning my neck and fingers started to feel itchy because of the cool wind. I ducked in a store for a bit to warm up and was fine the rest of the walk. Discovered a natural pharmacy near trader Joe's, so I'm trying a new natural antihistamine from them. "You can return any product to our store if it doesn't work for you" the kind women helping me said. Tastes like nettles and you have to hold the losange under your tongue, but seems to be working. 

My housemate from last year, Wendy, 58, picked me up this afternoon. Introductions to her two friends, Kaki and Lori followed as we waited in the opening day line for the brand new New Mexico History Museum. Too crowded to really take in. An overall impression of artifacts, glossy graphics, costumes and tiny-waisted dresses. I enjoyed most an art installation on a foyer wall. A series of colored squares, reminiscent of ribbon candy, hung on this wall. They were delicately carved along one edge so as to cast shadows of human faces in profile upon the wall. Each square cast its own unique portraiture. Nothing else in the museum seemed presented in a new way except for this random display.

The sun was out when we got out. Wandered in some crazy expensive boutiques Wendy thought we should see. Watched flamingo dancers on the plaza for a little while, then I walked home in the hot sun. Did I mention, it hailed mid-morning and its raining again now at 10pm? 

Last year, the first time I ever saw NM, I remember thinking like somehow I'd always been here. Now that I'm back, I'm strangely feeling like I never left. This is the land of enchantment and entrapment.

No comments: