Sunday, September 20, 2009

From August 31st 2009




Wow! I just tripped across the southwest with a magnificent 84 year old lady, Patty, mother of Wendy and mother in law of Ted. From Santa Fe, New Mexico to Sonoma and San Francisco, California. We talked life, loss, travels. Made it to Flagstaff the first night. 2nd day: Grand Canyon and Zion National Park. Zion, to me, excuded far more magic and beauty than the Grand Canyon because I felt part of it. I was right in it. Right inside the tunnels going through the mountains. 

Also, I got separated from Patty at the grand Canyon for two hours! I didn't listen to my instinct to get her cell phone # prior to getting out of the car with instructions to meet her at the parking lot at the end of the road. I got to the end of the path to see multiple parking lots. A ranger took me back to the initial parking lot, but not before I had to wait half an hour for him to arrive and another half hour to check the other mulitple parking lots. The great thing about Patty is she is not a worrier and she does not get all bent out of shape. It was an accidental misunderstanding. Things are good now. Lets go on! But she did not look behind her when backing out, so she hit the ranger's car! Luckily, it did little damage, but my goodness! Fortunately, no other mishaps happened on the trip.

We arrived in Las Vegas at 8pm. Had thai food there of all things, and drove on to a tiny place called Beaty. Arriving at mid-night to the only hotel with rooms available. 

Drove through the rest of Nevada, past Mona Lake, heard of some hot springs and drove down a dirt road to see them. Too many people there, on their way to Burning Man. Moved on. Reached lake Tahoe by 1pm. Drove around the perimieter, along the awesome ridgeline of a mountain! Stopped by a Tahoe lake-fronth house where Patty's friends house sits - a brief interlude into the lap of luxury.

And then took 80 4.5 hours west to Sonoma. Stopped at a city called Auburn shortly before Sacramento for food at a great Ikeda Market. Yummy grated cabbage/broccoli/red pepper/feta/olive salad. Mixed berry pie.

We got into sonoma before sunset, so I saw the beautiful spanish style mission, plaza, homes and captured some gorgeous sunset shots. 

Now I'm at the Patty's Westerbeke Ranch, in that state of disbelief that this is where I am coupled with the certainty that this is exactly where I'm meant to be! Almost an out of body, totally clear/vacant-mind experience. The crickets are very loud. The air, fresh and 
Eukaliptus-y.

No comments: